Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Monday, September 21, 2009

Buddha Prince - A walking play about His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama



I sit and write this as I drink my hot cup of Tibetan Medicine before bed. Today my life is reminding me about my education around Tibetan Buddhism & Tibetan Medicine. And I would like to share a teeny tiny bit.

Have you ever been to a walking play or a play where you get to be involved in the production in some way? I have been to many and have acted in a few. There is a feeling of connection with the actors that you don't always get when they are up on a stage. Anyway...I walked across the street to attend this play at my local park. Lucky me to have that opportunity.

The play was about His Holiness the Dalai Lama and it portrayed what it was like for him to be selected at 3 years old. He thought his life would be a castle full of toys. Something all 3 year olds dream about I suppose. Then it walked through what is was like living in Lhasa. He was playful and enjoyed dancing, animals, and avoiding his homework.

Then the play talked about his meeting with Chairman Mao and how he trusted Mao, until Mao referred to religion as poison...and in the end you saw him crossing over to India. Tibetans were fearful he too would be murdered and he is the light. So he made a very hard decision to flee to India. India has now been the haven for the Tibetan people for the last 50 years. Tibetans who have made the treacherous journey in search of freedom.

I shared this teeny bit of information not to tout religion, but to remind you that we are all just people. People who deserve love and respect. Life is precious and sometimes we need to remind ourselves of that simple fact. Travel the world with a backpack and you will see that kindness and respect for human life is what you are looking for when you do something as simple as try to order from a menu in a foreign language. People are people and we can share in that.

I want to leave you with a saying from His Holiness. A saying that I hope reminds you to be good to yourself, good to your loved ones, good to those pesky co-workers who may drive you crazy or the man you rather give the middle finger to because he cut you off. Be compassionate to all sentient beings.


Never give up
No matter what is going on
Develop the heart
Too much energy in your country
Is spent on developing the mind
Instead of the heart
Develop the heart
Be compassionate
Not just to your friends
But to everyone
Be compassionate
Work for peace
In your heart and in the world
And I say again
Never give up
No matter what is happening
No matter what is going on around you
Never give up


- Tenzin Gyatso, XIV Dalai Lama

No comments: