Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Monday, November 16, 2009

Broccoli Casserole without the broccoli or the casserole

Well at least that is what this dish tastes like to me. Or maybe now that I have taken another bite it tastes more like stuffing. Which is good, but a bit weird. Hmmm.

As I am always experimenting it isn't unusual to have a dish that is a bit different. The only person that has to eat it is me and I don't mind since it has all sorts of fabulous healthy ingredients.


Ingredients:

  • Bok Choy
  • 3 Potatoes
  • 2 Celery Stems
  • 1 Clove Garlic (I would have used more, but that was all I had)
  • 1 Leek
  • 2 Turnips (red)
  • 4 cups - Chicken or Veggie Stock (for a vegetarian version)
    • If you use less stock - 2 cups it will be more of a side dish then a stew
  • 1 tbsp of Butter or Extra Virgin Olive Oil (vegan version)
Directions:

  1. Chop the garlic, leek, celery
  2. Heat your pan with some butter or oil
  3. Toss in garlic, leek, celery
  4. Quick saute then add the stock
  5. Chop potatoes (I left the skin on)
  6. Chop turnips (took the skin off)
  7. Add potatoes & turnips to pot
  8. Toss in some herbs (rosemary, sage, bay leaf, salt & pepper, whatever you have)
  9. Check the potatoes & turnips with a fork (maybe 10 minutes). You can tell they are ready if the fork can easily mash (or if you want a firmer consistency that works too)
  10. Chop bok choy & toss into pot with a bit of butter or olive oil
  11. Let the greens wilt a bit. Cooking for about 3 more minutes. If you have not added salt to the pot this is a good time to do it so that the greens keep their vibrant color.
  12. Turn off the heat
  13. Stir and taste to determine if you want to add any other seasonings to the pot. 
  14. I added a bit more sage, rosemary and I debated if I wanted to add more liquid to make it more soupy or if I wanted to puree it. I decided that if I pureed it the color might be funky so I left it as is.
Note - If you use less water it will be more of a side dish. The 4 cups of broth make it slightly stew like.

One other detail I would like to mention. While I was peeling the turnips I peeled off a bit of skin from my finger - ouch! This seems to be a bit of a recurring theme. Last night I splashed boiling water on my hands. Seriously I have never been this accident prone. Both of these incidents hurt and I decided to try using lavender essential oil to deal with the pain. In both cases it did the trick! The burns are not visible and the pain from the cut was gone as well as the bleeding lessened. Woo Hoo.


No comments: