Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Super duper FIBER biscuit

Teff Flour was on sale at my co-op today and I decided to grab it up.
What is Teff? It is a gluten-free grain; used in Ethiopian staple bread, injera; it makes tasty quick breads, pancakes and waffles; substitute up to 20% in recipes; teff has a sweet, malty flavor; use to thicken stews, soups, sauces. 

Teff is high in protein and I look for that in my grains. A whole grain and protein combination is helpful as it allows the absorption of the sugar into the body more slowly so that we receive steady energy from that food. That means that we are less likely to keep snacking mindlessly on a food. Unlike, say eating regular cookies we may purchase from the store where the flour has been reduced to the endosperm of the grain and no longer whole. Therefore, we are left with only the sugary part of the grain and this can lead more quickly to blood sugar imbalances.


Ideally I wanted to make a gluten-free bread, but given the fact I didn't have all the ingredients, I settled for teff cookies. I remembered seeing a recipe from my friend Michelle and I decided to use her recipe as a guideline. What I found however is that these cookies had a firmer more biscuit consistency than a chewy cookie (perhaps a bit of baking powder would remedy). 
  • 1 1/2 cups teff flour
  • 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash puree
  • 1/4 cup agave/molassas mix
  • 1 cup coconut cream concentrate (from Tropical Traditions)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt celtic or himalayan sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. I tossed all the ingredients, except the teff flour into my Vitamix Blender because the coconut cream concentrate is very solid at room temperature. So I needed to break it up and make it smooth again and the vitamix can easily handle that manipulation. You might need to add a little coconut oil to do so.
  3. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well. 
  4. Scoop out the dough with a cookie scoop or a tbsp spoon and place on parchment lined cookie sheets (super easy clean up). 
  5. Using a fork, press down to flatten the cookies
  6. Bake for 10-13 minutes
  7. Approx: 2 dozen cookies 
We did a little culinary math and it seems these cookies have approximately 5 grams of fiber per cookie - that's a lot.

If you order from Tropical Traditions they have wonderful coconut goodness. Enter this code 5531550 when you order and you will receive a free coconut oil book with your order which has some great info as well as recipes!

No comments: